Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Be Careful What You Bind Your Spells To: A Cautionary Tale

Hello and Blessed Be!
Firstly I'd like to apologize for my very long absence. To sum it up, I needed some "away" time due to numerous personal and financial issues that had cropped up in my life. However I am glad to be back and while my posts will be more frequent, they will still be sporadic.

Now onto the lesson (that I learned the hard way), that I wanted to share with everyone today. We all know, or at least should know, that we must be careful when doing magical workings due to potential unseen repercussions, and that we also must consider these before we start any new spells or other magical workings. As you may have guessed, in February of 2012, I had not considered the consequences of my actions and this resulted in some very interesting repercussions in February of this year.

So my story begins with a miniature rose plant named Alice that I had received from my (at the time) long-term boyfriend. Knowing that plant life didn't last long in the apartment we were living in at the time, and believing that the love between us was strong I performed a (self-invented) ritual to tie the condition of the rose's growth with the growth and strength of the love (not the platonic kind) that existed in my life. The wording I used, which ended up being very important later on was, "As love in my life grows and blooms, so too shall this rose." My thoughts at the time were this, "if I want this rose to survive my roommate and her wild parties I should magically connect it with something strong and unwavering...I know! I will tie it to the love between me and my boyfriend, there is nothing stronger in the world than that!" Oh, I was wrong, and the gods love to remind us that nothing is concrete, especially when we get cocky (in my defense though we had been considering marriage, so my belief that it would last a lifetime wasn't completely unfounded).

For the longest time this seemed like it was an excellent idea, Alice thrived as did our love, but gradually our relationship stagnated and Alice suffered. At first it was only little things, like the cat suddenly deciding his new favorite past-time was shredding her leaves, but as our relationship fell into a rapid downward spiral, my rose became infested with spider mites (which managed to survive everything I threw at them) and rapidly declined too. By the end of it all poor Alice was nothing but a leafless withered stem, and the combination of being left by my boyfriend of 3 years and the apparent death of my rose was almost too much to bear. Remember the wording of the spell, "As love in my life grows and blooms, so too shall this rose," well that also meant that as love in my life withered and declined, so too shall this rose. Luckily I met someone else and as the spark slowly but surely grew between us, Alice recovered. Now she is back to her magnificent self and despite being warned by everyone that her spider mites would return, she is till mite free and even the cat no longer messes with her.

Now this may not seem like that big of a deal but we need to remember that while Alice may only be a plant she is still a living organism, and while I like to consider her my "enchanted rose" she would probably think of herself as more of being cursed to have her growth controlled by the whims of the heart of a college student. I imagine there could be some sort of karmatic retribution of this, even if it is small, and if only due to the irresponsible way that I acted (I really only did so that I could have a pretty rose). Also what does this do to the potential of her rose petals for other spell work? I still don't have the answer to that one.

So what have I learned from this? Don't bind fluctuating things such as luck, health, love, etc to an item, it doesn't even have to be living. Let's say I would have instead did a spell to tie the condition of the love in my life to a trinket saying, "as long as I have this trinket, our love will be strong," and then lost said trinket, that too would have been bad. So to sum it up, be careful of your magical workings, and always consider the possible consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment