Friday, November 2, 2012

My Samhain

Hello and Blessed Be!
Samhain (the witch's new year and a time to honor the dead) has just came and passed so I figured I would share with you how I celebrated it.
I had planned to go to the local grave yard and clean the leaves off of some of the older/unattended gravestones but the weather didn't permit it so I spent my entire evening inside. I still honored the dead however by having a "dumb" supper, which is where you eat your food in silence and leave a plate out for any spirits who may be wandering that night. It wasn't much, as money is tight right now, but I think any wandering spirits appreciated the bowl of tomato soup and the mug of green tea with pomegranate, especially since pomegranate is one of the foods of the dead.
Over all the night was pretty uneventful, we got a few trick-or-treaters who were brave enough to venture out in the snow but other than that all was quiet. I used the peace and quiet to meditate and do a bit of candle wax drippings divination.  For those of you who have never done candle wax drippings divination I highly recommend it, all you need is a bowl of water, a pillar candle, and a bit of imagination. First you light the pillar candle and let it burn until you have a good amount of melted wax, then you carefully pour the melted wax into the bowl of water and interpret any signs or symbols it may form. This is where you need a bit of imagination as often times you get a bunch of indistinguishable blobs, however occasionally you will get a few clear images. If you want to do more than just a general divination of the future concentrate on what it is you would like to know as the candle burns and as you pour the wax into the bowl.
I hope everyone had a pleasant and safe Samhain and I would love to hear how you celebrated it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment